- This event has passed.
Sonnets and Science: Literacy and the Reading Brain
February 26 @ 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm
3D SUPPORTs the Tri Counties Branch of the International Dyslexia Society (TCB IDA) for all that it does: scholarships, training, information, family support.
Join us and attend the TCB IDA’s Conference
*Sonnets and Science: Literacy and the Reading Brain –
A Conference for Educators, Parents, Therapists, and People with Dyslexia.
*Attendees will have access to the 3D FREE Talk to Write Lesson Demo at 10 a.m.
Saturday February 26, 2022
12:50 p.m. to 4 p.m., PST
Featuring Dr. Maryanne Wolf
Dyslexia Researcher, Published Author
Dr. Wolf will
- Explain the use of good screeners at kindergarten.
- Identify how targeted instruction and intervention are based on evaluation results
- Focus on the heterogeneity of dyslexia
- Provide insights for how we understand a variety of impediments in all children.
- Establish the need for a comprehensive understanding of what comprises foundational skills, fluency, and deep reading which will expand our approaches to teaching not only the science, but the poetry of learning to read.
- Provide an overview of how reading is changing in a digital culture which will be presented as a bridge to the future of literacy.
- Provide an overview of the challenges to reading in a digital culture.
About the speaker:
Dr. Wolf is a distinguished educator and neuroscientist who studies how the brain learns to read and what happens when a young brain can’t learn to read easily, as in developmental dyslexia, a childhood learning challenge. She is currently the Director at the Center for Dyslexia, Diverse Learners and Social Justice at the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies. She is the acclaimed author of Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain and Reader, Come Home: The Reading Brain in a Digital World. Her scholarly work has led to the development of diagnostic tools and reading intervention curricula Maryanne is a scholar, a teacher and a fantastic advocate for child and literacy around the world. She is also a fantastic speaker!
Cost: Registration is now available up to the conference start at 12:30 p.m. The conference is now virtual and available live on-line.
IDA member: $90
Non IDA member: $130