A 3D Interactive Virtual Workshop
Just START writing. For many of us, and our students, just coming up with that main idea, aka thesis sentence, whether it be for a work report or an essay, IS difficult. This workshop frees writers from the ‘writer’s block’ experience by:
- Identifying the obstacles: neuro-linguistic, emotional, and cognitive.
- Providing participants with techniques and exercises that work to free up thinking and writing.
- Proving to participants, via exercises, that there are neuro-linguistic skills they can tap to create theses sentences easily and fluently.
- Having participants complete workshop exercises for their use or for use with their students.
- Using Google Classroom and its functions to teach/complete exercises. Google Classroom is the platform that many classroom teachers and students currently use. (Student GC tutorials with screenshots are provided.)
The Instructor: Maria Davis-Perkins, PhD., M.A., Sp-CCC
Dr. Davis-Perkins has presented on: the neuro-linguistic skills of written expression; building the confidence of struggling writers; efficient writing convention assessment and remediation; emotions as a vocabulary generator. She has presented at: the California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE); the Tutor Group Radio Show; California Speech Language Hearing Association (CSHA); the Tri-Counties Branch of the International Dyslexia Association; among others.
Her professional experiences include: speech-language pathologist, medical, school based, and private practice; co-creator of the Kaiser Permanente Cognitive Computer Lab (Fontana); primary author of the Talk/Write (Talk to Write) Manual and program; co-investigator for a small ‘n’ study assessing outcomes of TW methods in Barstow, California; high school English teacher. Convener, Claremont Graduate University’s English Language Learning Research and Reading Group.